Key Insights from Google’s Mobilegeddon – via 3dcart

July 6, 2015 | Admin

Google Mobilegeddon
Latest Google’s update was labeled “Mobilegeddon” by the online community, which was meant to strike fear into the heart of website owners everywhere. Oddly enough, this algorithm tweak has ended up being a lot more benign than both the Panda and Penguin updates. Perhaps the biggest winners in this move towards mobile friendly sites are small businesses.

There are a few factors that played into the fact that Mobilegeddon didn’t end up being quit as catastrophic as the name implies. First of all, this update represents the first time in Google’s history that the search engine provided a warning before slamming websites with a new algorithm. After watching businesses be effectively crushed by past updates, websites took the warning to heart and made good use of the two months between the official notification and April 21, 2015, launch date. Less than 5% of websites were actually affected by the update. Mostly because the other 95% or so had already taken the necessary measures to be mobile friendly.

mobilegeddongoogle

In addition, this tweak only represents one factor in a very complicated and mysterious algorithm. Even sites that didn’t make the necessary adjustments in time, only saw a nominal drop in rankings. In fact, the majority of established sites weren’t affected at all because they are hitting the mark when it comes to all the other factors. While Query results may have dropped, but no businesses were wiped off the face of the internet as in past updates.

The other good news is that websites can become mobile friendly at any time. If they didn’t meet the initial deadline they can still make their site mobile friendly and reap the benefits whenever they are ready. So if two months wasn’t enough time for sites to get their act together, they don’t have to worry about a deadline that signals the point of no return.

When it comes to small businesses, Mobilegeddon actually provides a great way for them to get a leg up on the big guys and offer some real competition. A lot of small businesses use common publishing platforms like WordPress that can be easily made mobile friendly simply by updating a theme or downloading the necessary plugin. Small businesses also tend to have less code and pages, which means that it takes much less time to make changes. For these reasons, small businesses tended to be some of the first websites to comply with and benefit from the new guidelines.

Mobilegeddon

Perhaps Mobilegeddon also signals a kinder and gentler approach to updates from Google. Either way, business that want to stay competitive both with customers and major search engines need to start thinking in terms of mobile users. Smart phones alone account for 50% of searches. If the threat of Mobilegeddon wasn’t enough motivation to update your website, then you may be at risk of being left behind.


Authored By: Jimmy Rodreguez

fl-e-commerce-tamarac03a-jpg-20140908

Jimmy Rodriguez is COO and co-founder of 3dcart, all-in-one ecommerce solution for retailers to build, promote and grow their online stores. As an authority on e-commerce best practices, Jimmy combines more than 10 years as an ecommerce developer and web programmer with SEO, internet marketing and business intelligence.