Starting a WooCommerce store is rather simple but winning more sales can be quite challenging at times. The fundamental goal of every eCommerce entrepreneur is to achieve higher sales and to position their business at a top place in their niche markets.
Have you ever been in a situation of not being able to accomplish your sales goals even after putting immense effort towards improving your sales? This can happen if the sales strategies you have in place are outdated, inefficient, or inadequate.
If you are a WooCommerce store owner looking for ways to improve your sales, then you have landed at the right place!
This guide will take you through the steps to create effective and winning sales strategies to increase your WooCommerce sales and attain higher conversion rates.
Let’s dive in!
Ways to increase your WooCommerce sales
1. Provide attractive offers and discount coupons
Creating offers, discounts, deals, and coupons on your WooCommerce store is a proven strategy to drive customer loyalty, acquisition, and sales conversion rates.
Top benefits of implementing offers and discount coupons
- Attracting new customers to your business — helps grow your customer base more quickly.
- Keeping your existing customers happy and loyal — these customers help increase your sales and revenue by making repeat purchases and spreading the word about your business.
- Promoting new products — increases the demand for products that did not have much visibility earlier.
- Liquidating excess, old, or slow-moving products faster — boosts sales volume and makes room for new items in your warehouse.
- Driving more traffic to your store — prompts people to purchase non discounted products too.
Quick ideas to implement offers
- Pre-launch offers
Helps create a buzz around your new product.
- The first-time user offers
An excellent way to get your first-time visitors converted into paying customers.
- Free return and exchanges
Increases customer loyalty and conversion rates.
- Referral programs
Rewarding both referrers and referees help drive more customer acquisitions through referrals.
- Combo offers
Helps gain customer attention over the products that have not received much attention before.
- Minimum purchase discounts
Encourages customers to purchase a specified quantity of goods to avail of the discount.
- Seasonal offers
Helps achieve peak sales performance at specific times a year.
- Flash sale offers
Offering a steep short-term discount on a product can create a sense of urgency among customers and prompts them to buy a product at the earliest possible.
- Social media offers
Social media is an excellent platform to connect with your target audience, promote your products, and boost sales in your store.
You can provide personalized offers to your customers via social media platforms, based on their purchase history. This will promote them to keep coming back to your store for more.
- Clearance sale offers
Implementing clearance sales with a discount rate higher than normal, more people will be encouraged to visit your store and buy from you.
This is even more true when you apply huge discounts to expensive products. Therefore, besides helping you to clear your inventory, the “clearance sale offers” also promotes users to try new products that they have never purchased due to its high price.
How to create offers on your WooCommerce store?
WooCommerce provides in-built options that allow you to create and add coupon codes to your store. However, sometimes you may find its default functionality to be insufficient.
In such instances, you can go for WooCommerce coupon plugins that provide advanced options to create and manage coupons on your store.
Creating coupons with WooCommerce
Step 1: From your WordPress admin dashboard, go to WooCommerce in the left sidebar → Select Coupons → Click on Add coupon.
Step 2: Enter a coupon code according to your choice or click on Generate coupon code to add the automatically generated random code → Add an optional Description for the coupon.
Step 3: configure the Coupon data.
- Discount type: Select Percentage discount, or Fixed cart discount, or Fixed product discount.
- Coupon amount: Enter the value of the coupon here.
- Allow free shipping: Enable this option to set up free shipping on this coupon.
- Coupon expiry date: Enter the date on which the coupon will expire.
- Minimum spend: Enter the minimum subtotal amount a customer should spend in order to become eligible to use this coupon.
- Maximum spend: Enter the maximum subtotal amount.
- Individual use only: Enable this option to prevent users from using this coupon together with any other applied coupons.
- Exclude sale items: Enable this option to exclude the products on sale from this coupon discount.
- Products: Select the product(s) to which this coupon will be applied.
- Exclude products: Select the product(s) to which this coupon will not be applied.
- Product categories: Select the product categories to which this coupon will be applied.
- Exclude categories: Select the product categories to which this coupon will not be applied.
- Allowed emails: Enter comma-separated email addresses of users who can use this coupon.
- Usage limit per coupon: Enter the number of times this coupon can be used by all customers before it becomes invalid.
- Usage limit per user: Enter the number of times a user can use this coupon before it becomes invalid to that user.
Step 4: Click Publish.
Creating coupons using plugins
You could seek the help of plugins to implement a coupon strategy requiring more or advanced functionalities in addition to the built-in coupon features in WooCommerce.
Although there are a bunch of coupon plugins available in the WordPress plugin directory, it’s worthwhile to mention the following plugins as they are rich in features and yield better performance.
|Best coupon plugins for WooCommerce||Feature highlights||Pricing|
|Smart Coupons for WooCommerce — By WebToffee||Helps implement Gift cards, Sign up coupons, Giveaway coupons, Abandoned cart coupons, Buy One Get One offers, etc.Lets you configure a wide array of coupon rules and restrictions.Enables you to show the available coupons for a user on their “My Account” page.Allows you to make a coupon applicable to specific shipping methods, payment methods, user roles, etc.Set up and manage bulk coupons.Auto-applies coupons.||Free & Premium ($69/year for a single site) versions.|
|Advanced Coupons — By Rymera Web Co||Allows you to configure advanced Buy One Get One offers.Automatically apply coupons. Lets you schedule coupons.Helps set up advanced cart price rules. Enables to implement URL coupons.||Free & Premium ($79/year for a single site) versions.|
|Coupon Generator for WooCommerce — By Jeroen Sormani||Helps generate thousands of WooCommerce coupons in bulk.||Free|
2. Take necessary actions to reduce cart abandonment
Being an online retailer, you might probably have experienced cart abandonment quite a lot of times — the unfortunate situation where customers abandon their shopping carts after adding items to it.
Now if your store has a high cart abandonment rate, then you need to address the issue seriously, or otherwise, it can ruin your sales and revenue at a faster pace.
Minimizing your store’s shopping cart abandonment rates will help you win back your customers before they’re gone. Here are some useful tips that will help you reduce your cart abandonment.
Tips to reduce cart abandonment rates
- Cost transparency will help you go a long way
Giving unexpected surprises about costs and imposing hidden charges at the cart stage will not help increase your store’s revenue in any manner.
So when a customer views a particular product, you need to help them identify its exact shipping charges, taxes, or any other applicable costs right away.
- Make your store’s checkout process faster and efficient
Customers would expect your website to have fast, easy, and reliable checkouts. And if your store fails to meet their reasonable expectations, you might easily lose them.
Therefore, make sure you keep your checkout process as convenient as possible so that your customers will be able to checkout from your store seamlessly.
- Offer guest checkouts
Some customers would abandon their shopping carts if you force them to create an account without letting them complete their purchase.
Hence, offering guest checkouts will encourage your customers (especially your store’s first-time visitors) to make successful purchases, as it takes the hassle out of lengthy, complicated checkout processes.
To enable guest checkouts in Woocommerce:
Sign in to your WP admin dashboard → Go to WooCommerce in the left sidebar → Settings → Accounts & Privacy → Check the Allow customers to place orders without an account option → Scroll up through the page and click Save changes.
- Provide multiple payment gateways
Your customers will be even more loyal to you if you allow them to pay with their favorite and most trusted local payment method. This way, you can keep your customers feel safer at your store.
Also, if you wish to expand your business into international markets, the payment gateways that can manage multi-currency payments will come in handy.
Therefore, multiple payment methods are essential for your store, as it provides a better shopping experience and increases your store’s checkout conversion rates.
WooCommerce provides a couple of payment gateways that you can configure and manage. You can add more payment gateways to your store just by installing and activating the plugins like:
- WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway
- PayPal Express Checkout Payment Gateway for WooCommerce
- WooCommerce Amazon Pay
- Online Worldpay For WooCommerce
- Braintree For WooCommerce
- Enable users to save their cart and buy later
Customers would often want to compare the price or reviews of a product sold by various stores or sellers. For this reason or any other purpose, they might have to leave their shopping carts without completing their purchases.
At a later stage, the customers may come back to your store, expecting to have their items saved in their cart. But, if they could not find the items added to their carts, chances are high that they abandon the carts and never come back.
Thus, enabling users to save their shopping carts for later can substantially help reduce your cart abandonment rates.
The Save Cart Later WooCommerce extension lets your store save the carts of both guest users and logged-in customers.
- Create offers or coupon codes to recover abandoned carts
Showing exit-intent popups, sending cart abandonment emails, etc. are some smart ways to recover your abandoned carts right away.
To implement abandoned cart recovery, you could make use of the Abandoned Cart Lite for WooCommerce plugin. It helps your store to send automated email reminders to your users (both guest and signed-in users) regarding their abandoned orders, notify you about the recovered orders, and more.
3. Implement upsells and cross-sells on your store
Upselling is a technique that is extensively used by store owners to encourage customers to purchase add-on items, more expensive or better quality products, and so forth.
And, cross-selling refers to the method of promoting customers to buy products that are related to the items that they have already purchased.
Therefore, upselling and cross-selling are excellent strategies that you can adopt to increase your store’s sales and bring in more revenue for your business. Now, let’s look at how you could implement these strategies in your WooCommerce store.
How to implement upsells and cross-sells in WooCommerce?
Step 1: Sign in to your WP admin dashboard.
Step 2: Navigate to Products in the left sidebar.
Step 3: If you have not yet added your first product, click on the Create Product button.
Otherwise, click on the name of the product to which you want to add upsells and cross-sells.
Step 4: In the Product data section, go to the Linked Products tab → Here you can select and add the upsell and cross-sell products.
Step 5: Scroll up through the page and click on Publish or Update, with respect to what is displayed there.
4. Secure your WooCommerce store
Of course, WordPress and WooCommerce platforms are built on a secure framework. But you would need to consider quite a few more factors to stiffen the security of your WooCommerce store. The major factors that you need to consider are mentioned below.
Basic steps to secure your WooCommerce store
- Choose a secure web hosting service provider
- Secure your store with HTTPS
Securing your WooCommerce store with HTTPS will boost your customers’ confidence in you and helps make them feel secure buying from your store.
- Keep your WooCommerce store updated
Updating your WordPress/WooCommerce platforms and the plugins that you use to the most recent versions will improve the security of your store.
- Ensure all your payment gateways are secure
Secure payment gateways prevent hackers from stealing your customers’ card details or other payment data.
Therefore, using popular and reputable payment gateways will improve the credibility of your store and thus encourages people to purchase from you more confidently.
- Use strong usernames and passwords for your store’s administrator accounts
Strong usernames and passwords can protect your store from identity thefts and fraudulent attacks to a great extent.
- Back up your store regularly
Maintaining regular store backups will protect your store data from unforeseen outages and helps resume your business operations without protracted delays.
A plugin like UpdraftPlus implements automatic backups of your store and enables you to restore your website in the circumstances of unexpected site downtimes.
5. Enhance the UI/UX of your store
The UI/UX of your store has a significant role to play in boosting your online sales. Improving the User Interface (UI) of your store will in turn help enhance your store’s User Experience (UX).
If you can create a flawless user experience at your store, then it’s a safe bet to say that your customers would keep coming back to your store for repeated purchases.
Quick tips to create the best UI/UX design
- Select your WooCommerce theme wisely — a theme that offers a responsive UI/UX design will give users a very appealing and unique browsing experience.
- Improve your store navigation — creating simple, clear, and consistent store navigation, appropriately configuring your menus and categories, making the clickable elements easily identifiable, adding a comprehensive store search element, etc. helps improve your store navigation.
- Create an easy checkout flow — lets users checkout faster with a minimal number of clicks.
- Use high-quality images, icons, and videos — helps enhance the visual experience of your store.
- Make your store’s contact information and policies easily accessible — allows users to easily find your store’s contact information or its return/refund/shipping policies, whenever needed.
- Incorporate a live-chat functionality to your store — real-time conversations will help your store users to get their problems solved much faster and more conveniently.
6. Minimize your store’s load times to improve its performance
Slow load times of your website is a major factor that significantly increases its bounce rates — which means that if your website loads slow, people landing on your store may leave immediately without converting.
Therefore, you need to be aware of the ways to minimize your store’s load speeds so that you could help your customers complete their purchases quickly.
Ways to improve your WooCommerce store’s loading speeds
- Choose the fastest web hosting
You should consider speed as an important factor when choosing a web host for your WooCommerce store. SiteGroud is worth recommending, as it offers pretty good and satisfactory page load time.
- Use the fastest theme
- Optimize the images for your store
Optimized images will help you considerably to speed up your online store. If you’re interested in learning more about image optimization, read the guide on WordPress image optimization.
- Install a suitable cache plugin
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN)
A CDN distributes your store’s bandwidth across multiple servers. Hence, using a CDN will help you to minimize the load times of your website and thus ensure high performance. Check out how to add a CDN to a WordPress website.
7. Optimize your product pages
Your WooCommerce product pages play an important part in helping you achieve your sales goals faster. You need to be vigilant about the way you create each of your product pages, as it is a major point of consideration for customers when making purchase decisions. So, take a look at the following tips that help optimize your product pages.
Guidelines towards optimizing your WooCommerce product pages
- Add your product title
Create a clear and accurate product title so that users can understand it at a single glance.
- Create the product URL
Ensure you set an SEO-friendly URL for your product in order to make it more visible on search results.
- Write a clear and convincing product description
The product description must be engaging and informative to your audience. In addition to the main description field, WooCommerce also provides a section where you can add a short description of your product.
- Add quality images
Adding high quality and optimized product images on your product page have a crucial part in increasing your store’s conversion rate.
- Include product attributes and variations suitably
Product attributes (size, color, texture, etc.) are essential to creating variations for your product and these variations help users to buy the exact item that they are looking for. Hence, incorporating product attributes and variations to your store can give a strong boost to your sales.
- Enable product reviews and ratings
From your WP admin dashboard, go to WooCommerce → Settings → Products and enable the necessary options under Reviews → Click Save changes.
8. Simplify your WooCommerce store’s checkout process
Your customers would never want to waste their time on a lengthy or tricky checkout process. Consumers are more likely to abandon their carts amid these kinds of checkouts.
Therefore, you need to make your WooCommerce checkouts quicker and smoother to improve your store’s higher conversion rates. Here’re some tips that help boost sales for your WooCommerce store.
Tactics to create a seamless checkout flow
- Keep the checkout steps as simple as possible
Adding irrelevant fields to your checkout form can complicate the entire process. A single-page checkout process with clear and understandable steps will help drive more conversions.
- Allow guest checkouts
It is not a good idea to compel your first-time users to register during their checkout stage. Instead, allow them to check out as guests and let them enjoy a quick and hassle-free checkout experience.
And, once they’ve finished their purchase, you could probably ask them to register.
- Display the shopping cart items during checkout
Let your users easily change the number of items, remove an item, or add a related product from their checkout page itself.
- Enable users to copy their shipping address to billing address
Adding a button/link that allows users to copy their shipping address to the billing address in one click will create a better experience for them.
- Make your return/refund policy clearly visible
- Help users understand that your store has a secure payment process
Use secure payment logos or icons to assure your customers that their payment data and other sensitive details will be handled safely and confidently.
9. Strengthen your marketing strategy
Before implementing any marketing strategy, understand your buyers (their behavior, buying patterns, etc) and identify their problem areas.
Also, target the right customers when creating your marketing strategies. This will help you to connect with prospective customers and generate more sales.
You should also take measures to exercise marketing techniques that help attract new customers to your store. So, let’s see some of the best marketing strategies that will help improve your store’s sales.
Best marketing strategies to increase your sales and revenue
- Implement an effective SEO strategy for your store
To create an effective SEO strategy in WooCommerce, you could use the free Yoast SEO plugin or its premium version (Yoast WooCommerce SEO plugin) for added features. This is the best and most popular SEO plugin for WordPress.
Yoast helps to improve your store’s search engine rankings by allowing you to set up and optimize your pages’ SEO title, URL slug, focus keyphrase, related keyphrase, meta description, and more.
The plugin also lets you determine your content readability and automatically analyzes the effectiveness of your SEO strategy. All these will help you best optimize your store for search results and conversions.
- Increase your presence in social media
Today the social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) have a relatively large scope for building your brand awareness.
You can use these platforms to add posts, articles, or multimedia content in order to engage your target audience. You could also delight them with special offers and deals. All these will help drive more traffic to your store and thus generate better sales and revenue.
- Deploy content marketing strategies
Being a cost-effective marketing technique, content marketing helps you achieve a greater Return on Investment (ROI) for your store.
Creating blog posts, infographics, help articles, podcasts, video tutorials, etc. are different ways to implement a content marketing strategy that drives conversions.
Remember, the type of content you create is not what really matters. The thing is to make your content interactive so that it keeps your audience interested and engaged.
- Create email marketing campaigns
You can use your email marketing strategy to share newsletters, configure automatic emails to recapture abandoned carts, share personalized gift cards or coupons to your subscribers, send “thank you” emails when a customer makes a purchase, and much more.
- Make use of a customer feedback strategy
Collecting the feedback of your customers is the most effective way to measure the success of all other marketing strategies. It also helps you to identify and resolve all the major drawbacks of your business.
Implementing any sales strategies or techniques randomly in your store may not increase its sales all of a sudden. The key to leveraging your WooCommerce store for higher sales and revenue is to deploy the right strategy to the right set of people in the right scenario.
So, the most important step prior to creating any marketing strategy is to have an in-depth understanding of your customers. For this, you could consider creating a customer persona aka buyer persona — a prototype portraying the interests and behavior of your target customer base.
Taking these aspects into consideration and infusing the above-discussed strategies into your sales growth efforts, you could be able to capture the attention of new and potential leads. Thus, you’d be able to generate higher conversion rates and more sales, in the long run.